Wednesday 7 September 2016

With the bus around Europe

We as europeans are not costumed of travelling by bus just like Americans. 
In the United States, it is normal to take a bus from New York and wake up after three or four days in California. Or almost. 


figure by thetimesweekly.com
One of the main reason is probably that when we move, we move with our furnitures and do not leave them behind. We don't have a garage sale and then just take personal items and jump in a bus. 
And travelling by bus used to be expensive, uncomfortable and totally out of any schedule. 
Most people also prefer either their own car, train or an airplane. 
But lately public transports are getting more and more expensive or offer services we don't want, need or let us pay for those services we never get. And who wants to drive day after day anymore? 



Today's European bus service is totally different. 
It should be possible to travel from Paris to Amsterdam with just 1€ or from Dubrovnik to Madrid with 5€ only. There is a new tendency to have a sort of "interbus" instead of interrail. 

To figure out if all that is possible, I tried two out of hundreds available. 

First I tried Student Agency in Czech Republic and later German owned flixbus here in Italy.



photo en.wikipedia.org
At my trip from Prague to Karlovy Vary with "Student Agency" that took about two hours, in the bus was a driver and a "waiter", a sort of male hostess. This serving person gave me a newspaper I couldn't read, because it was in czech and a cup of tea. I also had films to watch and free wifi. This was all inclusive for the price of my ticket. I could buy some coffee, juice fruit and some snacks too. Toilet was functioning.
Seats were normal bus seats.  
One way trip costs proximately 10€






photo www.flixbus.it
For my trip from Milan to Perugia with Flixbus I had a seat. A normal bus seat. 
Toilet didn't function or was kept closed. 
There were no such thing as a coffee, tea or a waiter that served me. 
Nor there were films to be seen, or free wifi. A newspaper? What is that? 
In the entrance there were some old weekly magazines. 
The trip from Milan to Perugia took 6 hours with a stop of 15 minutes. 
The web offer for that trip is proximately 19€ 

I can't say I was totally satisfied. After that Czech experience I had, this German owned company was nothing but an ordinary bus trip and it took me from point A to point B.
I truly wish these companies invest in hostess, because it is comfortable to see there is an extra care, some drinks to be bought and toilets that function. One stop in 6 hours is far too little. Also movie panels in the seats could help both; the customers and the company.  
I am willing to pay more for each trip in order to see "some student" or unemployed to get a job and travel with some comfort.  



P.S. I wonder who get those 1€ trips

No comments:

Post a Comment