Thursday 15 September 2016

My Tate Experience

I decided to go and visit my friend who lives in London to her birthday in June this year. 
At the very same weekend Tate's art museum got it's reopening. 

As an art lover, not a critic, I wondered what I might experience once there. 

London as a town gives me kicks no matter how good or bad the weather might be. The energy just flows throughout my body and I feel like I have a new life. 




As most museas in London, there is no such thing as an entrance fee, but it is kindly expected to leave an offer of £4 that I think it is more than fare. 

I thought of going to Grand Opening in the evening of 16th of June, but my experience in Italy with queuing for hours discouraged me out of such event. 

I decided to go the day after instead and dedicated the whole day for the visit. For my surprise there were no queues either. How is it possible to have no queues in an art museum? What ever reason english have for such comfort we should learn from them.

As a visiter to many museas, some artwork weren't new to me, like those of Picasso, probably seen as a copy in Paris, in Malaga, or in Barcellona. 

My favourite remain the couscous table or Untitled (Ghardaia) from 2009 of Kader Attia: I love food, and I like couscous and art, so I found inspirational his work that kind of tickled all my senses. Besides of the  contemporary art work, this artist is capable in different ways: His way of seeing art sometimes also from a critical point of view by composing them with a harmony, such as Tawaaf from 2009; a circle made of cans that looks like a fountain.  Reconstruction of 2016 express his ideology of rebuilding and the concept of repair. 





The photos of Sirkka Liisa Konttinen  looked so familiar to me that first I thought they were from our family album. Her shots are from 1970s when I was just a kid in an age of preschool. They remind me of my childhood in Finland. I think my younger sisters were kept in a carriage with such huge wheels. And just like these kids, we had the most peculiar places to gather and play in. 





Underneath some  snapshots from the collection of those I liked the most: the background belongs to German artist Gerhard Richter and it is called Strip from 2011. 

What comes to the museum itself, I found spaces open and large. Two buildings connected with a bridge at the 4th floor and in ground floor. An elevator that carries people up to the top roof to admire the view over London and the River Thames. 
I sensed peacefulness and enjoyed the art fulfillingly. 

Tell me about your Tate Experience, by leaving a comment.

Please ask permission from the author to share photos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment