Monday 9 April 2018

No sunbathing?

I'm one of those ...


who was educated that sunbathing is healthy and necessary to get over the cold Finnish winter with as little flu as possible. Our sea has little if at all iodine and visiting mediterranean sea for two weeks seem to provide necessary amount of iodine to establish our respiratory defences.

pexels.com


But laying in the beach isn't obligatory. Jus being in the beach, perhaps walking early in the morning and in the sunset is more than necessary.
Most European have this idea that where ever there is a sea and a beach, sunbathing is a must. While I have noticed that most overseas travellers avoid beaches and sun.

At my visit to Austria three years ago, I learned that although they have sun, sea and pretty nice climate, they do not go to the beach at all. My cousin explained that her parents never were keen to go to the beach, as if they were afraid of it, and she grew up with the idea that laying in the sun and swimming ain't just how she could spend her days. While I thought: what a waist it is, to live so close to such a beautiful beach and never go there.

Bondi Beach Sydney by australia.com

And that is the difference. You have it there, everyday and it won't disappear. The sun shines nearly 300 days in a year and if you miss those 299 days, there still be that one day. Besides all those stories about sharks in Australian beaches are not completely true. Sometimes there are sharks, but more often there are stingrays and jellyfish. 
What actually happens in Australia, is that in most part of the country water is far too cold to have a swim. Unless in the northern part of the country.
In my visit to Bali, nearly 25 years ago, it was us Europeans to lay on the beach while Australians and Asian population visited the island. 
(Well... So did we, but with less intensity.)
Also at the Caribbean, we europeans lay on the beach while others dive, snorkel, play golf or do several other activities. 
Countries such as Southern Europe, Dubai, Morocco or Tunis, Turkey and The Caribbean live with tourism. We do nothing but lay on the beach, eat and drink. This kind of tourism ends up consuming a lot of food and drinks not produced locally and leave huge amount of rubbish to take care of the locals. Small islands in the mediterranean sea get tons and tons of food and other items from the mainland. 

cbsnews.com

How many of us would satisfy to live as locals?
The idea of visiting an idyllic island with it's origins has disappeared. The souvenir items are mainly produced in China. And international supermarkets over rule in case I get homesick in 10 days and need the coffee I'm used to drink. Like I couldn't live without my regular diet for 10 days.
When I book a trip, one of the first thing I do, is to check out what kind of culinary culture the country has and prepare myself psychologically. It is easier to face heavy Balkan or Arabian food if I know what I'm going to experiment.
And what ever diet I might follow, I can assure I find those products every where. Like in Iran, where consuming sheep meat is normal. There is always rice and local vegetables if I'm on vegan mood. And for vegetarians there is good news: Eggs are eaten in every country.

norecipes.com



Of course the taste is different. But who prohibits me to print one of these receipts from the web and try how does it taste. And only then book my trip. In this way I truly can eat in every country of this planed. 

rezeptwelt.de


If I am travelling, there is no such thing as; The sun is too hot, sea water too salty, they don't cook meatballs with smashed potatoes, I can't have salty breakfast, coffee isn't like at home, there is no pork meat, or; there is only pork meat. Or it was mostly rainy, while the weather forecast promised a lots of sun.
What ever uncomfortable weather circumstances I find myself, there is always my hotel room and a book to read. 
Except in rare cases; but we won't talk about them right now, won't we. 

Where ever I am planning to go, I just enjoy my vacation; complains have this magical way to fade away once I allow myself to get used to the new circumstances. 

Book your organised tour for groups with: info@kairos-travel.eu 
And leave all the planning to the travel experts, so that your vacation is enjoyable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment